FTC is internet hosting a workshop on digital darkish patterns in April
On February 24, 2021, the Federal Trade Commission announced that it would hold a workshop on digital dark patterns on April 29, 2021. The workshop aims to understand how user interfaces, intentionally or unintentionally, can have the effect of obfuscation, undermining or impairing consumer autonomy, decision-making or choice.
The workshop will explore a number of topics related to digital dark patterns, including:
- How do dark patterns differ from the sales tactics used in brick and mortar stores?
- how they affect consumer behavior, including potential harm;
- whether some consumer groups are being addressed wrongly or are particularly at risk;
- Which laws, rules and standards regulate the use of dark patterns? and
- whether additional rules, standards, or enforcement efforts are needed to protect consumers.
The FTC also announced that it is looking for research, recommendations for discussion topics, and requests for panelists ahead of the workshop. Relevant information should be emailed to [email protected] by March 15, 2021.